Friday, April 24, 2015

Quickie Chicken and Dumplings



OK, so it is still cold outside.  Last night we ended up getting home late, so I threw together my quick version of Chicken and Dumplings.  I say quick because it takes less than 30 minutes.  Who doesn't like Chicken and Dumplings especially when we can fix it fast?

Quickie Chicken and Dumplings

2 cans Chicken Breast (it takes more time, but you can cut up your own chicken or sometimes I use one of those ready-made chickens from a Deli)
1 can chicken broth
1 can of water
1 can of Cream of Chicken
2 Tbsp. Pepper

* for a healthier version, use fat free chicken broth and the reduced fat cream of  chicken.  You can even leave the Cream of Chicken out and just use 2 cans of broth, but it will be more of a soup consistency.

You don't need salt because it will already be salty enough

Easy Dumpling Mix

2 cups Biscuit Mix (like Jiffy or Bisquick)
2 Tbsp. cold butter cut up into the biscuit mix until it is crumbly
4 to 6 Tbsp. evaporated milk.  (this may be more or less, but you want it so the mix stands together - but not like you are rolling out a biscuit.  It should be sticky)

* for a lighter version of the dumplings, use 1% skim milk instead of evaporated milk.

Put all into a large pan (dutch oven style) and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and start dropping very small bits of the Dumpling Mix into the hot broth.  They will expand quite a bit, so I do mean small bits, maybe the size of a nickel.

Don't stir too much, this will cause your dumplings to break apart.  Once they start setting up, you can toss them lightly with a wooden spoon. 

Let them cook for about 20 minutes, stir often so that they don't stick.  Serve like a soup or you can make mashed potatoes to serve along with them. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh man, does this sound good! Very much like what my grandma used to serve after church on Sunday. Tucking this one away in my recipe box. Thanks, Debi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know, Kay. I loved my grandma's chicken n dumplings . She got a little lazy sometimes and just used canned biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are better than my Grandma used to make and I remember hers quite well even though its been many years. Chicken and Dumplings Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete