Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cold Crab Salad

Good morning readers!  Man I love me some cold seafood salad.  I used to go buy it at the local grocery store in the deli section and one day I thought, hey I bet I could make this!  So I tried and it turned out fabulous.  I always make my own now.  If you use the imitation crab (which is actually fish flavored like crab), it is good.  Nothing like a cold seafood salad on a croissant! 

Cold Crab Salad

1 pkg. fresh or imitation crab meat (I use imitation because it's cheap)
1/4 finely diced onion
1/4 of a stalk of celery, finely diced
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional or can use a dash of hot sauce)
1/2 c. to 1 c. Miracle Whip
1 tsp. Yum-Yum sauce (Japanese dipping sauce, you can buy at the grocery)
Salt and Pepper to taste

*Optional:  I have, on occasion, added a small can of Tiny Shrimp to this salad and it is really good that way too.  Adds a little something different to it.

Imitation crab meat has a red-type coating on part of it.  You can peel this off, but it really doesn't hurt anything and gives your salad color.  Up to you!  Using your fingers, pull the crab meat apart and place I large bowl that you can cover with a lid.

Add diced onion, celery, celery seed, salt, pepper and cayenne.  Stir.   Add 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. Yum Yum sauce, depending on how sweet you like it.  I don't add much because the crab meat is already sweet enough.  Finish off with enough Miracle Whip to make it creamy. 

Chill for at least an hour and then serve with crackers or on top of a Croissant.

2 comments:

  1. Though I can't give this a try because I'm allergic, this sounds pretty good! I bet it's wonderful on a hot, summer night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kay, what a shame. I love crab meat and seafood in general. I'll post something today that you aren't allergic to, hopefully! Thanks so much for the comment.....

    ReplyDelete