Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Fresh Wild Mushrooms



 
Mmmmm I love this time of year.  Fresh wild mushrooms!   I haven't found any this year, but my wonderful mother sent me home a "mess" of them last night.  I do not like store bought mushrooms at all, but those fresh ones are just yummy.  Here is my recipe for fresh mushrooms.

Fried Fresh Mushrooms

About 10 or 12 fresh mushrooms
    (soak the mushrooms in salt water for at least an hour.  Generally about 1 tsp. of salt to each quart of water rinse well and I like to slice them into smaller pieces)

In a deep bowl mix:  2 cups of flour, 1 tsp. ground pepper and 1 tsp. salt.  Toss in the sliced mushrooms and toss around gently to coat them well with the flour mixture.

In a deep skillet, mix 1/4 c olive oil and 4 Tbsp. real butter (not margarine).  Over medium heat, fry the coated mushrooms turning just once when browned.  Immediately remove to a paper towel to drain. 

The butter makes the difference.  The grease will look horrible and turn all brown, but never fear, the taste will be fabulous.  I like to cook mine until they are a little crispy, that's why I slice them a little thinner than most people.

Easy, but yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Not usually a fan of mushrooms in any form, but this sounds good. My hubby might eat all of these before I get a chance to try them. Good recipe. Got to love "messes" we get into. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Kay. I don't normally like mushrooms, except when I cook them LOL.

    ReplyDelete