Monday, April 20, 2015

Tater Soup Warms The Soul

Hello Cooks! 

Today I brought my "world famous" as my granddaughter calls it, Potato Soup for lunch.  I must admit, I do get rants and raves over my potato soup....or Tater Soup as many of us call it!  So, I'm here sharing my recipe with you today.  I think I could eat Tater Soup, and probably do, eat it at least once a week.  It is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.



Share with me some of your favorite foods, or foods you wish you could cook a little better, and we will see what we can work on together.   I'd love to have some questions about cooking and add some recipes that have been specifically requested by you, my readers!

Tater Soup

6 large taters, peeled, washed well and cut into home fry sized cubes
1/2 small onion, diced finely
1 stalk celery, diced finely
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 stick Real Butter (of course)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1/4 c water + 2 heaping Tbsp. cornstarch (wait until the very end to mix and add this)

Boil taters, onions and celery in just enough water to cover them until they are fork tender, but not squishy!  DO NOT DRAIN THE WATER!

Add butter, salt and pepper.  Once the butter has melted, add 1 can of Evaporated Milk.
Stir to mix.  Over medium heat, bring back up to almost boiling and turn off.  Beat together with a fork the 14 c water and 2 heaping Tbsp. cornstarch and immediately stir into the soup.  This mixture will make a smooth, silky and thick tater soup.

So, you are probably asking why I don't drain the water, right?  Well, all the nutrients from the tater is in that water so why drain it.  You washed the taters right?  Well, then they are clean.  Why drain that water....take my word for it, you will love this recipe.



2 comments:

  1. This is a staple around the Stanton household. When the grandkids come over they ask Grandma Debi to make tater soup. It is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes, before we even get home with the grandbabies, they are asking grandma to make tater soup.

    ReplyDelete