Friday, May 1, 2015

French Toast


I love breakfast!  I like it in the morning, I like it for dinner, I just like breakfast food!  Bacon is my friend. I kinda have to be in the mood for syrup, so I can eat French Toast with or without syrup, depending on my mood.  I like to make my own syrup because there is nothing like hot syrup on French Toast.

French Toast

2 large eggs
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt

In a wide mouth bowl, beat eggs, evaporated milk,  cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Use your favorite bread, I like either regular white or the thick Texas Toast bread.  Dip into egg mixture on both sides.  If you like it eggier, you can let it set for a few seconds on each side.

On a griddle, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and brown coated bread on both sides.  Remove and serve with homemade syrup.  If you are not a big syrup eater, or are like me and can eat it without it, just butter up this hot French Toast and eat it. 

Homemade Syrup

1 Tbsp. mapeline flavoring (is like vanilla, only it is specifically for maple syrup)
2 cups water

Bring to a boil.  In a cup, beat 1/4 c. water and 2 heaping Tbsp. cornstarch.  Pour into boiling water, and turn heat down to medium immediately. Stir constantly with a whisk until thickens.  If does not thicken enough, you can add more water/cornstarch mixture.  Remove from heat and ladle over hot French Toast.  If you have syrup left, you can refrigerate it in a squeeze bottle and heat it back up in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm french toast. Haven't had it with evap. milk before. Sounds like something new to try. ;) I'm also one of those who can eat breakfast any time of the day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete