Monday, May 11, 2015

Homemade Granola


Homemade Granola is so easy to make and delicious.  A friend at work brought in some homemade granola once for a pitch-in (thanks Bettina)...and I loved it.  So I played with the recipe until I got it just how I like it.  My husband loves this recipe because he eats it with milk on it in the mornings, like cereal.  And my son-in-law is a truck driver who loves to take this on the road with him, although he has to fight with my granddaughter to get it out the door without her knowing it. 

Homemade Granola

3 cups of whole oats (not the quick oats)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. real butter (melted)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. warm water
1/2 cup of almonds halves
1/2 cup of walnuts (rough chopped)
1/2 cup Craisins (cranberry/raisins)

In bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, honey, salt, vanilla, butter and water.  Pour over oats and stir until well coated.  Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 to 8 minutes so that it doesn't burn.

Remove into a large bowl and add the Craisins and nuts.  Stir well.  Cool completely and store in tightly closed containers.

*You may mix this up and add a bag of dried fruits, raisins, pecans, or anything else that you really like in your granola.

1 comment:

  1. So many possibilities with this! And I absolutely love that you use real butter. Sometimes the flavor isn't there if you don't. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete