Wednesday, May 13, 2015


I love fresh made cookies, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of over-the-counter cookies.  I'd rather spend a Sunday afternoon baking my own cookies than to buy store-bought.  But, that being said, I'm not as good a baker as I am just a plain-old cook.  But, I get by.  I do, however, like these cookies.  Snicker Doodles are a part of all of our childhoods, so make a big batch and share them with your kids, grandkids, or heck, just eat them all yourself!

Snicker Doodle Walnut Cookies

1/2 cup real butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. cream of tartar  (do not omit this)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl until combined.  In a separate bowl, mix cream of tartar, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add to wet ingredients mixing completely.  The dough works better if you chill it for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator.  Remove and roll into balls and then in the Cinnamon/Sugar mixture below until completely coated.  Place on cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and press a walnut half down into the top of each cookie. 

Cinnamon Sugar Mixture

3 Tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes per batch.  Make about 12 to 14 cookies, depending on the size of the balls you create. 



1 comment: