Thursday, April 7, 2016

Flourless Fried Pickles


Oh wow, were these good.  I never thought I would like "Fried Pickles", until my step-daughter had me try them once when we went to dinner.  "Hey, these aren't so bad," I thought.  So I finally came up with a delicious recipe for Fried Pickles that uses no flour, so it isn't as bad for you.  Now, they are deep fried, but hey, what can I say!  Give them a try....

Fried Pickles

1 1/2 cup cornmeal (don't use the Jiffy Type, it has lots of sugar in it)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. ground pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup evaporated milk (or you can use 2% for less calories)

8 or so dill pickle slices or hamburger dill slices

Canola or Peanut Oil for frying

Bowl 1:  Beat the egg and the evaporated milk together

Bowl 2:  Mix cornmeal, cornstarch, oregano and ground pepper.

I use the long-thin sliced pickles (sandwich style), but you can use whatever you want.  Dip the pickle into the cornmeal mixture, then the egg batter and then into the cornmeal mixture once more.  Dipping it twice in the cornmeal assures you a crispy pickle.

Make sure the oil is hot over medium-high heat.  I test it by dropping a little cornmeal into the oil and if it sizzles and rises to the top, it is ready.   Turn a couple of times so that each side gets evenly cooked.  It takes about 6 to 8 minutes per pickle.  Remove and place on a paper towel to drain excess grease.  Salt generously.

I serve these with Ranch dressing and with Yum Yum sauce.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment